Symptoms of Menopausal Depression and Ways to Tackle It
Depression and menopause can go hand in hand. In menopausal years almost 80% women go through with this depression and it’s really very hard to deal with. The stage can really take a toll on any women, I am sure you do remember your mom getting touchy and sooty at the drop of a hat!! Her cranky moods and her brick-batting can be very much the result of her (impending) menopause!
Menopausal depression is a mood disorder and it can be identified by a number of symptoms.
Warning Signs and Symptoms of Menopausal Depression-
- Hot flashes
- Social isolation
- Loss of appetite
- Lack of energy
- Low self esteem
- Digestive disorders
- Fluctuation in weight
- Loss of bone density
- Difficulty in concentration
- Increase risk of heart diseases
- Loss of interest in daily activities
Menopausal depression can affect a woman on physical, social and psychological level. Women, who face this, generally shun activities that were once enjoyable to her. She becomes a social recluse and rather tries to stay isolated.
Why a woman sinks into depression during these menopausal years?
Reasons of Menopausal Depression
Hormones play a big role in the functioning of a woman’s body. Estrogen hormone is produced by a woman’s body and it leads to lots of body functioning like physiological development, reproduction etc. When a woman undergo menopause, then the level estrogen slows down which finally leads to less production of serotonin and dopamine. Lack of balance in the level of these hormones makes a woman feel more anxious, depressed and unhappy. It can also be passed down from parent to their child and woman who are more pessimist are more likely to get depressed.
How to Tackle Menopausal Depression-
Menopausal depression is a very genuine condition and not easy to tackle but there are some ways by which you can cope up with this extensively-
- Follow a regular exercise routine. It fills you with more energy and rejuvenates
- your body. Daily workouts augment the level of happy hormones called Serotonin and dopamine.
- Add estrogen foods in diet like apples, ginseng, soy products, dried beans, berries, wheat, oats, tofu and carrots. These foods increase the level of estrogen hormone in body and relieve the sign of depression.
- Try to spend more and more time with your family and friends. Talk to your spouse about whatever you feel. Build a strong connection with your friends helps in easing these indications of depression.
- Divert your mind not only make you feel reproductive but also gives you a refreshing sense and outlook towards life.