Sex can be very unpredictable. Various complications and problems may arise during or post sex. One of the most common problems in women post sex is vaginal swelling. Vaginal swelling involves redness and swelling on the inner and outer lip of the labia. In most of the cases, it is not life-threatening, but if the symptoms persist for an extended period of time, it is advisable to confer with a physician.
The potential causes for vaginal swelling is listed as follows:
Causes for vaginal swelling
1. Arousal– When the female body is aroused sexually, the vagina starts to lubricate and swell up. Sometimes the swelling may persist even after the intercourse which is completely normal.
2. Friction- Friction caused in the vagina due to insufficient lubrication can also cause irritation which leads to vaginal swelling. Although it is not a serious issue and the swelling will subside after some time.
3. Allergic reaction to certain products- Another type of allergy is from certain products that you may have used during the sexual practice. From the lubricant you used, the condom or the spermicide in it or the latex with which the condom is made, anything can infuriate the problem. Massaging oils, gels or creams may also contain ingredients that may irritate the sensitive skin of your vagina making it to swell up. This problem may also occur with the use of certain sex toys.
4. Semen allergy– Bizarre as it may sound, but this is a real life condition in which women are actually allergic to semen. It is also known as human seminal plasma protein hypersensitivity. A swollen vagina after every single session of intercourse can be very distressing for a woman. The symptoms may range from mild swelling and itching to allergic reactions which need medical attention.
5. Vaginal infection– Your vagina may be extra sensitive or the pH equilibrium of your vagina gets easily affected, this can be another reason for the vaginal swelling.
Home remedies to treat vaginal swelling
Oregano oil- Oregano oil has anti-fungal properties and hence is very useful in treating swelling caused due to yeast infection. Oregano oil has to be consumed orally in 500 mg per dose. You can continue the medicine till the swelling persists.
Yogurt- Bacterial infections can be treated by consuming yogurt with live cultures. You can also apply fresh natural yogurt to your vagina every day till your problem gets resolved.
Chamomile tea- Chamomile tea has soothing properties that aids in calming the inflamed vaginal walls on external application. Soak a few tea bags in a glass of hot water and apply the soaked tea bags on your vagina squeezing the water so as to make it seep inside.
Cranberry juice– Cranberry juice is helpful in treating urinary tract infections (UTIs) caused by bacteria. These are highly acidic in nature and facilitate in progressing the acidity of vagina, thus putting a halt on the propagation of bacteria.
Cold compress- Cold compress can be used for immediate relief. Take a few ice cubes and wrap it in a towel and apply it on the vagina. The ice numbs the skin thus providing some relief.
Tips to avoid vaginal swelling
- Give some time to foreplay as this will get you completely aroused and lubricated.
- Avoid rough sex.
- Check for any allergies that you might have from various items that you use during your sexual practice.
- Sanitize your sex toys after every use.
- If you frequently indulge in anal sex make sure to reserve anal sex for the last to avoid any infections.
- If you are more prone to UTIs, maintain a sure degree of hygiene.
- If you are allergic to semen, then home remedies won’t be that efficient. In this instance, it is better to consult a doctor.
Use water-based lubes.
- Avoid clothes that are fitted around your private parts.
- After using the restroom, wipe from front to back instead of back to front. This will prevent fecal bacteria from spreading.
- Avoid sexual intercourse till the problem gets resolved.
- Avoid possible irritants such as fragrant washes, soaps, etc. that can aggravate the condition.